Part Six: Functional Groups
- There are many identifying structures within compounds known as functional groups. Here is a table of the main functional groups in organic chemistry.
R= represents an unspecified hydrocarbon chain attached to a given molecule (example: CH2CH3)
X = represents an unspecific halogen attached to a given molecule (examples: F, Cl, Br, I)
Part Six Exercise Set
- Use what you learned in Part Six to complete the following exercises.
- For each exercise there are two windows. The first one contains a molecule and various functional groups within that structure that have been circled.
- Part A: Identify the functional groups in each of the following medications and circle them.
- Part B: Name each functional group
- We recommend you draw your response on plain white paper.
- When ready, click on the window to reveal the answer.